FLAT ROCK, N.C. ― Flat Rock Playhouse is thrilled to announce individual tickets sales to go on sale Monday, January 9th for the 80th Anniversary of the Vagabond Players. The highly anticipated 2017 season consists of over 25 productions that make up Flat Rock’s Mainstage, Studio 52 Family Series, and the popular Music on the Rock concerts.
“Box office returns have reached record numbers for the second consecutive season, and it has been a truly humbling experience to continue a legacy that was established exactly eighty years ago, today,” says Artistic Director Lisa K. Bryant. “As we celebrate this momentous anniversary, I am incredibly proud of the work we do as Vagabonds, onstage and off, and the profound impact of our artistic endeavors as we welcome a growing community to the Flat Rock Playhouse family.”
“With more shows and a fabulous variety, we know that our patrons will be thrilled to see all of their top picks appearing in our next season” says Bryant. “We also have returning favorite Nat Zegree, who enthralled audiences this summer with his portrayal of Jerry Lee Lewis in Million Dollar Quartet, and local stars Scott Treadway and Preston Dyar, who are set to grace the Flat Rock stage again in 2017 amongst many, many other talented, and beloved actors who make up the extensive Vagabond family! Exciting additions to an already exciting year!”
Subscriptions are on sale now, with individual tickets to go on sale January 9th, 2017 at 10:00 AM. The Playhouse is offering three different packages this season packed with benefits including discounts, VIP parking, and choice seating.
“In an effort to best meet the preferences of our patrons, we have refined our subscriber packages to what we believe will offer our audiences the greatest savings, the easiest access, and enjoyable, exciting experiences at Flat Rock Playhouse,” says the Senior Director of Marketing and Development, Dane Whitlock. “Our Plan A Package will expand to offer one ticket to all eleven shows (up from nine the previous year) this season at double the savings for subscribers. We will also be returning to our traditional Flex Package, which will offer eight tickets to subscribers to use in any way they prefer. We believe that these two packages, in combination with our popular Music on the Rock Package (one ticket to all eight 2017 Music on the Rock concerts), will greatly serve our Vagabond community by offering upwards of 20% savings on standard Box Office prices to see our wonderfully, jam-packed 2017 season!”
The musicals & plays in Flat Rock Playhouse’s 2017 Mainstage Season include:
- Classic Nashville Roadshow to run March 8 through 18. Let Classic Nashville Roadshow take you on a journey down memory lane with your favorite classic hits honoring the world’s most beloved country greats – Dolly, Hank, Patsy, Tammy, George, Merle, and many, many more! Starring Jason Petty and Katie Deal.
- Smokey Joe’s Café to run April 21 through May 13. The music of Leiber and Stoller is sure to have you tapping your toes and dancing in the aisles with such hits as “On Broadway”, “Stand by Me”, “Jailhouse Rock”, “Yakkity Yak”, and “I Am Woman”.
- A Tuna Christmas to run May 19 through June 3. By popular demand, Scott Treadway and Preston Dyar serve up Christmas a little early this year with this hilarious comedy featuring the residents of Tuna, Texas – the “third smallest” town in the state. 2 actors. 22 characters. 2 million laughs!
- Annie to run June 9 through July 2. Leaping lizards! For the very first time, America’s favorite redheaded orphan will be gracing the stage at Flat Rock Playhouse. Do not miss what is considered one of the best family musicals ever written!
- The Dixie Swim Club to run July 7 through 22. Designing Women, The Golden Girls, Steel Magnolias… Make way for The Dixie Swim Club – a hilarious and touching comedy about five Southern women who prove that friendships can last forever.
- Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat to run July 28 through August 20. This megahit returns to Flat Rock Playhouse in this irresistible family friendly reimagining of the Biblical story of Joseph, Israel’s favorite son. Featuring an infectious and unforgettable score by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice (Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita).
- Music of the Night: The Songs of Andrew Lloyd Webber to run August 25 through September 3. The music of Andrew Lloyd Webber continues on at Flat Rock Playhouse with hits from one of the best musical theatre composers of all time. Featuring songs from Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, Cats, Phantom of the Opera and many more!
- Amadeus to run September 15 through 30. Nat Zegree, Jerry Lee Lewis from last year’s smash hit Million Dollar Quartet, returns to Flat Rock Playhouse to star as one of the original bad boys of popular music… Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
- Little Shop of Horrors to run October 6 through 21. Don’t feed the plants! One of the longest running Off Broadway hits of all time makes its Flat Rock Playhouse debut in this hilarious musical comedy about a boy and his bloodthirsty plant. Featuring a sensational score reminiscent of early 1960’s rock and roll, doo-wop and early Motown.
- Dial M for Murder to run October 27 through November 11. A classical whodunit just in time for Fall at the Playhouse, Dial M for Murder is a sophisticated, chillingly sinister thriller brimming with madness, murder and mayhem that will hold you spellbound with suspense.
- Flat Rock Playhouse Christmas Spectacular to run November 17 through December 22. Haul out the holly and deck the halls! This original musical revue performed by your favorite Flat Rock Playhouse singers and dancers is sure to be brimming with holiday cheer. Come celebrate the holidays – Vagabond style!
All of the plays and musicals in the 2017 Mainstage Season will be performed on the Flat Rock Playhouse Mainstage in the Village of Flat Rock.
The musicals and plays slated for Flat Rock Playhouse’s 2017 Family Series:
- Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka to run March 24 through April 2. The delicious adventures experienced by Charlie Bucket on his visit to Willy Wonka’s mysterious chocolate factory light up the stage in this captivating adaptation of Roald Dahl’s fantastical tale. Featuring the enchanting songs from the 1971 film, Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka Jr. is a scrumdidliyumptious musical guaranteed to delight everyone’s sweet tooth.
- Disney’s The Little Mermaid to run June 29 through July 23. Journey “under the sea” with Ariel and her aquatic friends in Disney’s The Little Mermaid Jr., adapted from Disney’s Broadway production and the motion picture featuring the enormously popular Academy Award-winning music and delightfully charming book and lyrics. An enchanting look at the sacrifices we all make for love and acceptance.
- You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown to run September 7 through 24. Happiness is... this charming musical featuring the beloved Charles M. Schulz Peanuts gang. Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Sally, Schroeder and yes Snoopy too! A delight for the whole family.
- Pinkalicious to run August 31 through September 9. Pinkalicious can’t stop eating pink cupcakes despite warnings from her parents. Her pink indulgence lands her at the doctor’s office with Pinkititis, an affliction that turns her pink from head to toe – a dream come true for this pink loving enthusiast. But when her hue goes too far, only Pinkalicious can figure out a way to get out of this pink predicament.
- The Best Christmas Pageant Ever to run December 7 through 17. In this hilarious Christmas classic, a couple struggling to put on a church Christmas pageant is faced with casting the Herdman kids – probably the most inventively awful kids in history. When they end up as the leads, their interesting interpretation of the story (which they have never heard before) helps everyone rediscover the meaning of the holiday.
All of the musicals and plays in the 2017 Studio 52 & Family Series will be performed at the Playhouse Downtown, with the exception of Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka which will be performed on the Mainstage.
The Music on the Rock concert series includes:
- The Music of the Beatles, February 16 – 26.
- The Music of the Rat Pack, March 9 – 19.
- The Music of the Simon and Garfunkel, March 30 – April 9.
- The Music of Johnny Cash and Roy Orbison, May 4 – 14.
- The Music of Don Henley and Phil Collins, June 1 – 11.
- Motown Summer Nights, August 3 – 13.
- The Music of Lionel Richie and Diana Ross, September 28 – October 8.
- The Women of Woodstock, October 26 – November 4.
All Music on the Rock concerts will take place at the Playhouse Downtown.
Flat Rock Playhouse Special Events:
- Mutts Gone Nuts! Expect the unexpected as canines and comedy collide in a hit performance, that’s leaving audiences everywhere howling for more. From shelters to showbiz, these amazing mutts unleash havoc and hilarity in a breathtaking, action packed, comedy dog spectacular, featuring some of the world’s most talented 4 legged performers. Deemed ‘A Must See’ by the Washington Post, the dogs are sure to steal your heart, and then your shoes! Mutts Gone Nuts is a comedy dog thrill show that promotes the adoption of rescue animals. On the Mainstage one day only! February 11th at 1:00 and 5:00 PM. Tickets range from $14 for students and $28 for adults.
- Cherry Cherry: Experience Neil Diamond’s Music Like Never Before. Neil Diamond’s music is timeless and ageless. His classic songs evoke memories that every crowd will enjoy. Famed Neil Diamond Tribute Artist with his 9 piece band will perform such hits as America, Forever in Blue Jeans, Sweet Caroline, I Am...I Said and many more! April 6 – 9 on the Mainstage. Tickets range from $15 - $33
- Donny Edwards, a Heart and Soul Tribute to the King, the return limited engagement direct from Las Vegas will perform September 6 – 9 on the Flat Rock Playhouse Mainstage, Tickets range from $15 to $33.
All packages must be purchased by calling the Box Office at 828.693.0731 or by visiting the Mainstage Box Office at 2661 Greenville Highway in the Village of Flat Rock. Individual tickets may also be purchased online at www.flatrockplayhouse.org.
About Flat Rock Playhouse:
In 1937, a group of struggling performers, led by Robroy Farquhar, organized themselves as the Vagabond Players. The Vagabonds worked in a variety of places over the course of three years, and in 1940 found themselves in the Blue Ridge region of Western North Carolina. The local and tourist community welcomed them with open arms when they presented their first summer season of plays in a 150-year-old grist mill they converted into The Old Mill Playhouse at Highland Lake. So successful was that summer, they returned in 1941. After WWII, the Vagabond Players reorganized, came back to the region and opened a playhouse in nearby Lake Summit. The Lake Summit Playhouse thrived during the post war years and soon the Vagabond Players were looking for a larger and permanent home. In 1952, the troupe of performers, and a newly formed board of directors, made an offer to buy an 8-acre lot in the Village of Flat Rock. This new home made the Vagabonds “locals” and a rented big top gave birth to Flat Rock Playhouse. As the beautiful Western Carolina region continued to grow, so did the Playhouse and in 1961, by Act of the North Carolina General Assembly, Flat Rock Playhouse was officially designated The State Theatre of North Carolina. What began as a few weeks of summer performances in 1940 is now a nine-month season of plays including Broadway musicals, comedy, drama, and theatre for young audiences. The Playhouse’s dual mission of producing the performing arts and providing education in the performing arts includes a professional series; a summer and fall college apprentice and intern program; and Studio 52, year-round classes and workshops in theatre and film for students from kindergarten through adults. Flat Rock Playhouse now hosts over 98,000 patrons annually and is a significant contributor to the local economy and the Arts in North Carolina.